Tutshill sits at the top of the hill leading out of Chepstow over the old Wye Bridge.
The older houses are mostly 19th Century but in there was much new building in the 1960s and then in the first years of this century.
The village centre is sited around the ‘rec’ a large recreation ground which has football and rugby pitches and a play area. Originally called the Turnpike Field it was given to the village by John Silley who was born in one of the cottages opposite.
John Silley was a marine engineer who started his working life at Messrs Edward Finch & Co. in Chepstow but who went on to found his own engineering company in London and then later in Falmouth he founded Silley, Cox & Co.
Among the larger houses in Tutshill are Tutshill House, now the home of St John’s on the Hill School, Tutshill Lodge and Ty Gwillim (formerly Tutshill Villa).
Tutshill C of E school was opened first in the cottage which was the childhood home of J K Rowling, now called Church Cottage, and then in the present building in 1893.
St Luke’s Church which is situated between the cottage and the school was built in 1853, it was designed by Henry Woodyer who also possibly designed Church Cottage.
In Tutshill is the Memorial hall, originally the Reading Room but rededicated as a Memorial to the men of the parish who died in the two world wars.
Thirty five men are listed in the WW1 panel some of whom have relatives still living in the parish.
Amongst those killed was Capt Harold Thorne Edwards, he had lived in the parish for a few years in the early 1910s at Tutshill Lodge. Captain Edwards was immortalised in the painting by Fred Roe which is now in the collection of Newport Museum and Art Gallery showing his response to the German call for the Monmouthshire Regt to surrender on May 8th 1915 at the Battle of Frezenburg. Captain Edwards is shown holding his revolver as he uttered the words “Surrender be Damned”.