The hamlet of Woodcroft which lies on the road to Coleford from Chepstow grew up in the 19th century. There are a few large houses in the area and many cottages which were occupied by farm labourers and quarrymen.
The Woodcroft Quarry which is on the banks of the Wye was excavated until the mid Twentieth Century with the stone initially being taken by river but later by road.
Among the larger buildings in Woodcroft is the Memorial Hall now the Woodcroft Christian Centre which is owned by a Charitable Trust and is run as an interdenominational residential centre for young people.
The Memorial hall was built as a Temperance Hall by Christiana Morgan (nee Brice) in 1887 in memory of her husband Thomas Henry Morgan. Christiana and her daughters Sophia and Emily were very active in the Temperance Movement and also founded the Mission at Stroat. Among the famous visitors to the two mission halls was Gladys Aylward in the early 1960s.